Constructed as a key attraction for the 1958 World Fair, it was an amazing engineering and construction achievement. featuring the fastest elevator and longest escalator at that time. It was planned to be dismantled after the fair but it was such a popular feature that it was left standing year on year. However, over the years, very little maintenance was done so it was quite deteriorated until in 2004 it was closed for renovation. It was reopened in 2006 after €26 million worth of renovation.